7.11.2006

You Rearrange Me Till I'm Sane

Syd Barrett is dead. Does anyone know who he is anyway? He IS Pink Floyd. He was an original founder of PF. He is the reason PF had so much success. True, he left the band before they became successful in America, and true too that his lyrics contributed to mainly one album...but he was what pushed PF to the place that it needed to be.

When I first got interested in PF (my freshman year of college), I had no idea who Syd Barrett was. Thanks to a friend who gave me some old magazines, I learned. There were some articles in these magazines from years ago that told the PF story. They didn't forget to include Syd Barrett's pivitol role in the band. I became fascinated with this reclusive man who was the inspiration, the soul of one of my favorite bands. It's surprising how many people don't know who he is or what his part in PF and rock in general is/was. Even after he was gone from PF, he remained a great inspiration with albums and songs being inspired or even about him. Take a look at the lyrics, they speak for themselves.

It's sad...he was still young...only 60. What is saddest for me is that now I will never have a chance to meet him. I doubt he would have ever met me anyway, but I was hoping that someday I would make the trek to England and maybe get to spend a few minutes with this amazing man. He reminds me of my favorite author, JD Salinger, for his reclusiveness. Two great people...two great inspirations...and two people who shy away from any sort of fame. I'm sad, but hopefully PF will live on...Maybe this will be the thing that kickstarts a major Waters-Gilmour reunion...I've been hoping for one since I first fell in love with the Floyd.

1 Comments:

At 13:55, Blogger BTExpress said...

I graduated high school in 1966, so remember Pink Floyd very well. Things get a bit foggy after I got out of the army in 1970, because that pretty much was the beginning of my hippie years. Truthfully, I don't remember Syd at all, but did love, and still do, Pink Floyd.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home